Computer & Wifi Access
As a cardholder you can get computer and wifi access for free at any branch of the Ottawa Public Library. In February 2014 the city announced a plan to install free wifi at the following 25 locations:
- Ben Franklin Place/Centrepointe
- Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex
- ByWard Market Building
- François Dupuis Recreation Centre
- Minto Recreation Complex – Barrhaven
- Goulbourn Recreation Complex
- Greenboro Community Centre
- Heron Road Community Centre
- Hunt Club – Riverside Community Centre
- Jack Purcell Community Centre
- Jim Durrell Recreation Centre
- Kanata Leisure Centre
- Kanata Recreation Complex
- Nepean Sportsplex
- Ottawa City Hall
- Overbrook Community Centre
- Plant Recreation Centre
- Pinecrest Recreation Complex
- Ray Friel Recreation Complex
- Richcraft Recreation Complex
- Richelieu-Vanier Community Centre
- Ron Kolbus-Lakeside Gardens
- Splash Wave Pool
- St-Laurent Complex
- Walter Baker Sports Complex
The most useful site for classifieds ads is probably Kijiji Ottawa. For a broader search you can try extending the search–for instance to Montreal or to all of Ontario. Other local sites worth knowing are Used Ottawa and CraigsList Ottawa.
A number of online Ottawa freecycle groups (i.e. places where one can give and take items over the internet) are listed at the bottom of this page. For non-virtual freecycling see the discussion here.
Google Drive is a cloud-based platform providing a file storage and synchronization services that allow you twork from anywhere. The documents, including spreadsheets and PowerPoint-style presentations, are stored online, sharable in many formats, and easy to share with anyone in the world.
WordPress.com is a free and powerful blogging software with a fairly steep learning curve. The Slow Ottawa site was made using a free WordPress theme that was later upgraded to include such features and a custom domain name and ad-free publishing. But for a more basic blog or website WordPress is absolutely free, as are the simpler and easier-to-master blogging services at sites such as Blogger (main page here, sample blog here) and Tumblr (main page here; sample blog here).